Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Return to France

Well I never wrote about my last vacations to Italy, Amsterdam, and Ireland....Well it's a little late for that, but I guess I get a second chance to update this blog because I am returning to France as a language assistant. My official title is an assistante de langue. I will be working in a French high school, assisting the English professors. Basically my understanding is that I am there as a native speaker and to help the students with their fluency and oral comprehension of native speakers.

This is a pretty cool program that is through the Ministry of Education in France, where they place people all throughout France and the DOM (Departments D'outre Mer, like Martinique). I was luckily placed in the Nancy - Metz Academy (another name for the region is Lorraine), specifically in Metz, in the Department Moselle. For those of you who don't know it's pronouced MESS and it's about 90 minutes by train East of Paris and 60 minutes South of Luxembourg. Nancy - Metz is actually surrounded by three different countries; Belgium, Luxembourg, and Germany.

For those in the know Lorraine has been occupied by Germany for many different times and thus has a unique history and culture than the rest of France, so I am excited to explore and learn about another area of France.

No comments: