Long before I went to France I knew that I wanted to go to Oktoberfest and being placed in Metz made it ideal because I am right next to the German border. I looked into train tickets and found one that wasn't too expensive, the only problem was finding housing. It was way too expensive. Some hostels wanted 80 euros a night for a 20 person room. I don't mind hostels but even I thought that was ridiculous, especially considering everyone would probably be drunk out of their mind. So I decided to take an overnight train to Munich, arriving at 7:15 AM and then leave at 10:30PM to get in to Metz at 6 AM. It was a long train ride but totally worth it!
The train to Munich was uneventful, there were only 3 people in a 8 person car so we all got a little stretching room. So I was able to sleep a little bit. When I first got into Munich I did a little sight seeing looking at the big squares, getting a little lost, you know the usual for me =) Around 10:30AM I made my way over to the fairgrounds where they have all the tents and met up with some people from couchsurfing.com As much as I love to travel alone, I didn't think it was a good (or very fun) idea to be drinking alone. So I met up with other travelers in Munich and had a great time! In all I visited 3 tents, and drank 4 liters of beer! (Don't worry it was over the whole day and not at once, so I wasn't drunk) But it was amazing to see literally thousands of people standing and dancing on tables singing songs together!
In all of the tents they play this one song it must be every 20 minutes. It's a German song, so I don't know the words, I just know that you have to drink some beer at the end of the song. But the first time I heard the German word for cheers, Proust, I thought it was everyone saying cheers to their favorite author, who just happened to be the French author Marcel Proust. Needless to say I was wrong!
No comments:
Post a Comment