So when I got into Grenoble on the 4th, Victor (my teacher) took us around the town which took all of about 5 minutes and then left us to our own devices. A couple of us decided to climb the stairs of "La Bastille" which was originally built to see intruders from Italy and then later was used during the French Revolution. So this is about 2.5 KM up a steep hill on steps. I should have been in the other group that just went walking around town =)
Half way up the hill I was tired and didn't want to go any higher but then this cute 70ish year old French woman was encouraging me up the hill. Now this is sad on many accounts because she should not be giving me advice I should be giving her advice. Oh well. I started goging back up the stairs and we starting talking. During the conversation we went over what we (Julia and I) were doing in France and how old we were, ect... And she said that I spoke better French, but Julia could climb the stairs better. Either way it was really funny.
After that we went out to dinner in the Italian Quartier and had some pizza and pasta. And then we were all so tired that we just passed out at about 9:30 at night.
The next the director of API (the program SU is going through over here in Grenoble) took us on another walking tour of Grenoble. And then finally it was time to meet our families.
I was the only one with a dad to come pick them up and then he took me to Carrefour, which is like a HUGE Target with a full grocery store and clothes and other things. Basically whatever you could possibly need or think of would be in this store.
Then it was finally off to the house where I meet the mom and the brothers and sister. Edouard (21) doesn't live at home but is studying in Toulosse. Charles (19) is studying economics at Grenoble and Clementine (15) who is still in high school. They are all really nice and really welcoming. The dad speaks English and so does Edouard and Charles. But Francoise (the mom) and Clementine don't really. However, they all said that I spoke well and that I was doing fine, which is something I think.
Today we had our first day of classes with Victor. Cat (who lives literally down the street from me) and I took the buses to school today and Charles came along to show us how it works and which one we take and where it goes. That was really nice especially because we would have been so lost without his help.
However, our commute was not helped by the fact that it was snowing! I discovered that snow is pretty but not practical.
2 comments:
i want to go to carrefour! do they have cute clothes there? what about purses? your family sounds so nice! do you like them? how is your room? do they have any pets? are the boys cute?? i want to skype with you! i'll be on when i can, hopefully i'll be able to talk to you :)
carrefour does NOT have cute things there. i have no idea why you want to go there. it is basically a walmart that smells terrible.
Post a Comment