Lyon is only about an half and half train ride away from Grenoble so our teacher Victor took us there on a trip. The day started out pretty early and the first thing that we did when we got there was take the funicular, which is like a roller coaster in the beginning where it just pulls the cars up a little bit at a time. It took us up to see this Church where every year there is a pilgrimage.
After the Church we had some free time to grab lunch so everyone that wasn't a vegetarian decided to go to buchon, which Lyon is famous for. My host mom tried to warn me about some of the food there but since I didn't know how to spell the things I was not able to heed her warning. The meal started out well with a Lyonaise sausage with brioche. It was surprsingly good. Then I ordered something, I was not really sure what it was when I ordered. But I figured that since it was a menu that people must eat it and like it. When the plate comes it looks like a giant piece of fried fish. I cut into it and discovered that it was not fish, but instead tripe. I tried to eat some of it but could only eat like 3 bites of it. After that dish I decided to play it safe with a lemon pie, while Cat inadvertently ordered prunes in wine.
Victor took us to this museum about the French Resistance and Deportation during WWII. It was interesting but the museum was badly laid out. And then some people went to the museum of Fine Art but I was tired so a group of us decided to catch the 5:15 train. I don't know why but Victor sent of off walking to a really far metro station in Vieux Lyon so the 5 of us were power walking because we only had about 25 minutes to catch our train.
When we all got to the metro station I saw that the train was about to leave to we all run and make it one, but as Lauren just reached the train the doors literally closed on her. She wasn't able to make it because most of her was still on the platform. The rest of us unsure whether or not we should wait for her or not, kept going to see if we could make the train. We finally got off but had to make a transfer within the Metro and we were all running trying to make the train.
Finally when we arrived at the train station, we couldn't find where our train was departing from. Frantically searching I discovered that it was the J platform but I only saw the elevator as a way to reach it so we all ran into the elevator which moved so slowly. But finally we made it to the train. After trying to find seats one of us gets a call and it's Lauren! She made it to the train station and she was almost at the right platform. As she was about to make it on the train, the doors were starting to close. But I said that it couldn't happen again so I forced the doors open and she was able to make the train.
However, from what everyone says about trains in Europe are always on time LIED because after all of that effort the train was 30 minutes. So we didn't need to ran everywhere in Lyon to catch the train. Oh well, I am just glad we made the train because I was exhausted especially after my earlier culinary adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment